Colin Trevorrow is out as “Star Wars: Episode IX” director.
Disney issued a short statement on Tuesday about the departure without naming a successor.
“Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on ‘Star Wars: Episode IX,’” the statement said. “Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process, but we [irp]have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.”
Sources indicated to Variety that the split stemmed from differences on the script between Treverrow and studio executives. The film was expected to hit theaters on May 24, 2019, with production expected to start early next year.
[irp]Disney announced in August, 2015, that it had selected Treverrow to direct the finale of the trilogy. At that point, Treverrow was coming off directing “Jurassic World” for Universal.
“This is not a job or an assignment,” Treverrow said at the time of his 2015 hire. “It is a seat at a campfire, surrounded by an extraordinary group of storytellers, filmmakers, artists and craftspeople. We’ve been charged with telling new stories for a younger generation because they deserve what we all [irp]had—a mythology to call their own. We will do this by channeling something George Lucas instilled in all of us: boundless creativity, pure invention and hope.”
The next film in the Star Wars franchise is coming on Dec. 15 when “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” directed by Rian Johnson, opens.
[irp]Treverrow’s departure marks the second time in three months that directors have been replaced by Disney on a Star Wars movie. On June 20, the studio ousted the directing team of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller from the untitled “Star Wars” Han Solo spin off — citing “creative differences” — and replaced the duo with Ron Howard.
[irp]The Han Solo movie, which is in post-production, will open on May 25. It’s the second Star Wars spin off movie following last year’s “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.”