The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, on Tuesday disclosed that the Nigerian Government is taking necessary steps to block sources of funding of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.
Mohammed made the disclosure while stressing that the Federal Government is aware of countries sponsoring the pro-Biafra group.
Featuring on ‘Good Morning Nigeria’ on the Nigeria Television Authority, NTA, Mohammed said government had already initiated diplomatic actions against countries supporting IPOB.
“Terrorists do not publish where their funding are coming from. But we know the countries that are supporting IPOB.
“We know the sources of their funding though I am not at liberty to disclose them here.
“We are taking steps to block them and we are also taking a lot of diplomatic actions in respect of the countries that are supporting them.
Noting that most of the countries supporting the group were doing so based on ignorance, Mohammed said IPOB hoodwinked them into believing that “Nigeria is a country where Muslims persecute Christians and a country where there is genocide.”
He said, “As we speak today, IPOB has written letters to many Governments outside Nigeria, international parliaments sending fake and cloned videos claiming there is genocide in Nigeria.
“The minister charged the international community not to adopt double standard in dealing with IPOB and to be more diligent before making any pronouncements. He said what the countries would never accept in their territories, should not be condoned or encouraged in Nigeria.
“The minister justified the actions of the military for declaring IPOB a terrorist group as well as its proscription by the South-East governors.
“There are a lot of arguments regarding the constitutionality of the action of the military and the South East governors.
“People must realise that we are dealing with issue of national security and I do not think that the military and the governors should fold their arms while the country is set ablaze.”